Add Separators in Chrome’s Bookmarks Bar

I often use my bookmarks bar in Google Chrome heavily at work and wanted to add separators. Unfortunately for me, Chrome has no native support for separators. Other browsers, such as Firefox, use separators, so why can’t Chrome? Well, I’m not getting into those details, there’s other discussions on the web for that.

I’m here to show a nice compromise. Through my research, I’ve found people who have actually setup websites with a separator favicon which you then must rename to a blank name after adding their website to your bookmarks bar. This worked well for a compromise, at least until the pages were taken down for whatever reason.

I took this idea, but made a slight twist. I’m not hosting the page, you are. In fact, the URL, which really is a URI since it actually doesn’t go anywhere, is the page itself. I managed to get it to 758 bytes, however, it can get smaller with modification. I can do this using the data URI scheme. This data URI scheme, unlike your typical HTTP URL scheme which tells your browser where the data is, actually contains the data itself.

Anyway, enough jabber jabber! Here’s how to add my separator to your bookmarks bar:

  1. Click this.
  2. Drag the link into your bookmarks bar.

That’s really all there is to it. It has some advantages over a website:

  • You do not need an internet connection at all to start using it.
  • You don’t need to rename it to a blank name.
  • It contains a link of itself to easily add more separators to your bookmarks bar.
  • Because it is a self-contained data URI and has no association with me, this page, or anything, it is completely untrackable.

What does it actually contain? It contains a very simple HTML document comprised of some JavaScript to print out a link of itself along with its size in bytes and of course a favicon of a separator—which, by the way, is a data URI in itself. The data URI used for the favicon is a simple 16×16 PNG image that I tried to get as compact as I could. You can see all this after loading it and viewing to source of the page.

I hope someone finds this as useful as I have.

By the way, I’ve released this data URI under the public domain so you may freely do as you wish with it. I did this to keep the size small by avoiding copyright and license information contained the data URI. That said, I would appreciate proper credit if you post this method elsewhere. Also, if you make a modification of this (perhaps a smaller one?), I encourage you to share it in the comments!

Every Time

It seems that there are times I walk away from my blog for extended periods of time. Well, I do want to blog more, but I’m nut not much of a good writer. I logged back in and had so many updates to do. I used to keep on top of updates, but in recent months various life stuffs got in my way of my usual endeavors. I will once again attempt this thing called blogging. It just like handstands but it’s something I actually can do!

So I know this isn’t much of a useful post, but perhaps you may be interested to know I will getting back to my development work on my Challonge WordPress plugin. I have some unreleased changes I worked on long ago, I hope it all comes back like riding a bike. Yeah, I did make the code easier to work with in my last release. Anyway, fun stuff there.

In other news, I final—wait… *loading rant…*

Let me give some history first. So way back in December 2010, I launched my website, SolveMyCube. So since then for nearly 4 years, I was hosting the Cube Explorer server used to power the cube solutions on the site on a not-so-powerful Linux machine in my house. Since Cube Explorer is a Windows program, I ran it in wine. It worked okay. It would in a few days time, just up n crash on me. I tried writing scripts to get around this problem, it kinda worked, but ultimately failed. I had to constantly keep an eye on it to make sure it was running. Sometimes I simply forgot about it and a few individuals have gone far enough to email me about it.

So now back to my news… I moved to an AWS Windows server in November of last year. This solved all of my previously mentioned problems! I was happy. All was good until… Yeah… about mid-April. It crashed. So I just recreated the instance and that seemed to work… for the next 3 days! And this continued as I procrastinated. Then in June I investigated the issue. It turns out Cube Explorer just disappears after 72 hours. I still don’t know exactly why, but I wrote a simple batch script to restart it when it disappears. Now it has been running non-stop since then and I am very happy about that!

Lastly, I’ll just mention I recently (by that I mean more than a few months ago) received my long awaited M3D printer. I even have a dedicated cam page for it although as of this writing the printer is not operational but I should be able to get it fixed up real soon. I hope to make more posts about 3D printing.

So that’s it for now. Lovely self-deprecation n stuff. Yup.